Wednesday 25 February 2015

Homemade Clean Protein Bars and Cookies

Homemade protein cookies and bars.

How many of us crave that 4pm cookie or biscuit? ( Hands up!) Me!!  I pop on the kettle, make myself a nice cup of tea and really want something to go with it.
Now when I'm out shopping I sometimes pick up a few all natural health bars but that can get quite expensive.  My favourite ones at the moment are Nakd bars ( the bakewell tart flavour is to die for..) but if I'm needing a bit of extra indulgence Pulsin bars are the way to go.  They taste so good, especially the chocolate ones, so rich and yummy.... so I set out to make my own version.


My favourite shop bought bars



I started off with a set recipe then added a few twists of my own.  I kept it all clean and you don't have to add the protein powder if you don't have any, you could make them into regular bars and cookies.
Another little fabulous bonus about this recipe,  I make up one batch then divide it into two.  With one half I make them into cookies and bake them in the oven and with the other half I shape them into bars and pop them in the freezer!  How cool is that??  One recipe for two gorgeous treats!

Ok, so here's the recipe:

1 cup oats (ground to flour in Nutrabullet/Ninja)
1 cup oats
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 cup cooked quinoa
1 cup dates, chopped
2 tbsp coconut oil
1 flax egg (1tsp flaxseed mixed with 3 tsp water)
1 tbsp honey
2 large tbsp peanut butter
1 scoop protein powder (optional)

Mix all dry ingredients together.  Melt coconut oil and combine with flax egg and honey. 
Mix into the dry ingredients, add quinoa, peanut butter, dates and stir together until it all comes together.
Divide mixture in half.  Place scoops onto a baking tray and flatten into a cookie shape. 
Bake at 180c for 10 mins for a soft cookie or for a crisper texture turn oven down to 150c and bake for a further 10 mins.
With the other half of the mixture, shape into individual bars, wrap in tin foil/aluminium and store in freezer until you're ready to eat.




It really is a simple, cost effective way to satisfy your sweet tooth without the guilt.  
I'm off to pop the kettle on, time for some tea and a cookie...enjoy...


Caroline xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment