Sunday 25 January 2015

Clean Ratatouille with lentils and chickpeas, super healthy & delicious!


Ratatouille... Not this guy tho!!

It's so cold out, I just want to stay in, get all cosy and eat heart warming delicious food!  The only thing is, sometimes this kind of food is heavy, stodgy and not very good for you!
Well I've made this delicious meal that is all healthy, clean and not at all fattening, just a big bowl of steaming warm goodness!

Some ingredients, just add lentils & chickpeas.

My recipe is vegetarian but you could definitely add chicken or even lamb would work if you wanted some meat.
Did I tell you how easy this is to prepare?  No cooking, just get the old slow cooker/crock pot out (I loooove my slow cooker!!) It's a one pot meal, even better!  So here's my recipe, it looks like a lot of ingredients but it's mainly herbs and spices:

1 chopped onion
3 chopped/crushed garlic cloves
1 chopped pepper (any colour you like)
2 chopped aubergines/egg plant
1 chopped courgette/zucchini
1 large tub good quality passata (100% tomatoes)
1 tbsp rock salt
1 tsp mild chilli powder
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp dried chopped chillis
1 tsp dried ginger
1 tsp dried turmeric
1 tsp dried mixed herbs
1 tsp black pepper
1 cup dried chickpeas
1 cup dried lentils

Thoroughly wash the lentils and chickpeas, then add everything into the slowcooker/crockpot and top with water, around 2 cups.
Cook on low for 12 hours (I did mine overnight) or on high for 6 hours.
That's it, how easy is that?! 

Before cooking

After 12 hours on low

I portioned it of into individual airtight containers and kept stored in the fridge.  It lasted me around 5 days.  
This is an excellent meal for all your family, it's inexpensive and healthy and it had the thumbs up from my 8 year old son.  He had it on a baked potato for dinner and loved it!

So dig out that slow cooker or if you don't have one defiantly go out and buy one.  They are cheap and so versatile, I couldn't be without mine.  I hope you get the chance to make this, I'll be making more today. It's meal plan Sunday after all!

Have a happy, healthy week and I'm always over on Fit For Life for daily posts and motivation.
Caroline xoxo




No comments:

Post a Comment